Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Love of a Lifetime

There is something to be said about young love and all the excitement it brings! but there is even more to be said about the love that stands the test of time, for better or for worse, in sickness & in health! I feel that this is the kind of love Grandma & Grandpa Waters have for one another, They have never been ones for public displays of affection, I don't think in the 17 years I've known them I've ever seen them kiss, but I did witness in the last weeks of Grandpa's life them sit next to each other so sweetly holding hands, I saw Grandma when she probably thought nobody was looking bend down & lovingly kiss Grandpa's forehead. Have they had an easy life? probably not. I've heard many a story of there moves to find work, and there struggles to raise a large family and suddenly I find myself thinking wait Grandpa I haven't heard enough, and Oh how I'll miss the "Oh Ron, I'm sure they've heard that one already" that Grandma would say every time he'd start a story!! Grandpa had quite the life and some of his stories were so funny! and somewhere along the way he learned how to fix just about anything, Once one of our car doors wouldn't shut right and Grandpa went to his shed and got a piece of wood, shoved it somewhere in the door jam, slammed the car door a few times and it was good as new!! he loved working in his shop & creating things out of wood, many a birdhouse were created in there!! He enjoyed watching westerns & anything John Wayne, over the years there was a great battle with the two satellite companies because of the "Western Channel" I don't remember how many times Darin & I left Grandpa's house laughing because he got pissed off and canceled his satellite, but it was a lot!! Grandpa always said he was built like a Chevy "Like a Rock" and he proved that many times in his life First time had to be when he was a prisoner of war in WWII, I can only imagine what hell they put him through, but as he would say we beat those dam Germans and flew his flag proudly!! Second, would be his first battle with cancer, none of us ever doubted that he would beat it and he did, even with all those trips to Mexico! Lastly would be his last month on this earth, the nurse would give him a few days and he would late a week, the nurse would give him another few days and he said "I'm gonna stay till the 1st of May so Retta can have a full paycheck", crazy I know but he made it!! I know he was in a lot of pain and ready to go & be with Rodger but he wanted so badly to be with the love of his life, and although he thought she was keeping him here I know it was him who didn't want to leave her because that's just who he was, a fighter to the very end- "Like a Rock" I'm so thankful for their example of what true love is and I feel even more blessed that my boys got to know their Great Grandpa and the amazing man that he was. I know Rodg is happy to have his "Bud" back and I can only imagine what that reunion was like! R-I-P Grandpa we promise to take good care of Grandma!! and enjoy your ice cream, according to Degan they have the best ice cream in heaven!!

1 comment:

Luke and Alicia said...

That made me cry. Im sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great man.