Tuesday, January 11, 2011

CANCER

My Grandpa & Grandma Mulford
I've heard this word said way to much lately. This one small word makes me both scared and sad. Scared because for some reason I fear that this is how I'll die. Sad because It has claimed some of my loved ones already and is threatening to take an amazing man now. My first encounter with this disease was when I was 8 years old and in the second grade, My mom pulled me out of school half way through the year to go take care of my Grandma Mulford, so for the remainder of the school year and that summer I stayed in California with my Mom & Grandparents. I remember my Grandma laying in a hospital bed in the living room of her house and we would sit together on her bed and watch soap operas and hethcliff the cat cartoon, I remember doing my homework on her bedside table and they had the coolest pencil sharpener that looked like the old turn style phones. But also I remember having to take her in to see the Dr's and get her treatments and how she eventually couldn't walk and had to be pushed around in a wheel chair. I wish I remembered her attitude or the things she might have said to me but at 8 I don't know that I fully understood what was going on, but I do know that I have good memories spending time with my uncles Grover & Thurman and walking to the library with my mom to get books to read with my grandma, I also remember going to bible study and to the baptist church with my grandpa. I wasn't there for her final days thank goodness, but I treasure the time I did get to spend with her. Lately it seems like every time I turn around someone new is diagnosed with this unforgiving disease, It doesn't care how old you are or that you've beaten it once before, it still comes back someplace new and stronger than before. Papa Jones at least has options and will remove his prostate, Our beloved Grandpa Waters is preparing to battle you once again, the doctors aren't giving him many options but to make him "comfortable" but I like to believe that he still has some fight in him, will we get a miracle and he'll be cured again? who knows anything is possible, or will he lose? well that's possible too but lets not dwell on that, all that matters is that he does what makes him happy! I wish cancer didn't exist, it causes a lot of heartache, but it does and I'm sure many more people I know & love will get this nasty disease. Just find a cure already would ya!!
Grandpa Waters on Kevin's Harley!!

No comments: