Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Fond Memory

Hillstead Family
I had a fond memory pop up out of the blue today about my Dad! (those are the best) It's something I hadn't thought about in years so it caught me by surprise and made me smile! Let me just say that 9:00 am church is hard to get to on time, so the boys & I were late today and had to sit out in the foyer while the sacrament was being passed, which by the way they loved and were more reverent out there than they are in the chapel! (go figure) After the sacrament was passed we went into the chapel to find us a seat and it was completely full except for the front rows, so along with the Brandon family we made the long trek for all eyes to see to the front two rows! I got the boys occupied with things to do and that's when it hit me I was back to when I was growing up in the Overton Chapel and my Dad would make us sit front & center in the third or fourth row, I remember wanting and asking if we could sit in the back but NO, it was like those seats were reserved for the Hillstead Family and we sat there every week even after he passed away! I later learned that my Dad liked to sit close to the pulpit because he had a hard time hearing and could read the speakers lips. We never sit up front in fact the farther back the better in case we need to make a quick getaway, but the boys were extremely good today and I actually got something out of sacrament so maybe my Dad was on to something and I should start making my kids sit up front!!

1 comment:

Rissy & Spence said...

I agree with u Tami on this when I was growing up & as we went church & my parents aka ur sister Maralee & brother-in-law Brad. We always sat on the side in the 2nd row every sunday. If were in trouble my dad will take the hymn book to tapped us on the leg with & tell us to be quite & listen to the speaker. & now I am married I sit in the back row but depends on each week. I am hoping someday we will sit close, but we leave it to the older folks who like to see close & for them to read lips they can really hear very well. I love fond memories of spending time with Grandpa Hillstead & Grandma. I remember we played night games on the farm, like come to court, that was the best game ever to play with u, Bryan, & the cousin who was old enough to play the night game.. Love ya Aunt Tami take care have gr8 weekend... Love ur niece, Rissy